Blue Lake Provincial Park

Length of stay: 1 day
Visited: September 2021

Blue Lake Provincial Park is situated in northwestern Ontario and is known for its long sandy beach and crystal clear water. Blue Lake is actually one of dozens of lakes left behind after the retreat of ancient Lake Agassiz which covered much of northwestern Ontario and southern Manitoba. Besides providing excellent opportunities for swimming and fishing, it also offers camping and a variety of trails for hiking.

After spending the morning hiking in Rushing River Provincial Park, we arrived at Blue Lake in the early afternoon.

First things first, food. We drove to the beach area where there’s a sheltered picnic area to make and eat some lunch. The covered picnic area provided nice relief from the sun plus we had lovely views of Blue Lake. I’d say the park lived up to its name and reputation.

We went for a short stroll along the sandy shore. The benefit of visiting later in the season was that we had the beach all to ourselves, which was surprising considering how warm the weather was.

We then went to hike along the Spruce Fen Trail (1km, loop, rated easy). The trail follows along a boardwalk through a black spruce forest and out onto an open fen. There are interpretive signs along the way that provide more information about the importance of fens and the types of plants that can be found here.

The Spruce Fen Trail connects with a couple of other longer trails in the park, but we were unfortunately pressed for time.

Instead we hiked along the Boulder Ridge Trail (1km loop, rated easy), which meanders through the forest and passes a series of glacial erratics. The trailhead is located just south of the park entrance along Trans-Canada Highway 17. There is no parking along the shoulder of the road though, so we instead parked back at the day-use area by the main beach and walked a few hundred metres to get to get to trailhead.

It was a short hike through the forest. And with that we were back in the parking lot and ready to hit the road once again.

My progress on the Ontario Parks Challenge can be found here

75 thoughts on “Blue Lake Provincial Park

Blue Lakes looks like a wonderful park. I love these Ontario Parks with their white powdery Sandy beach! And that water does indeed look blue and very inviting! 😊

How many park crests did you end up accumulating last year? And no worries if you’re saving that tidbit to share for later. 😊

Happy Thursday!

It’s pretty amazing how many beautiful sandy beaches there are in Ontario. I was surprised at how crystal clear the water was at Blue Lake. The trails were also very nice.

I haven’t done a final count of my park crests yet (there’s too many!), but we visited just over 100 parks last year. It was such a fun challenge and a great way to see more of Ontario.

Happy Friday! The weekend is almost here! Woohoo!

Thanks! We’re planning on going snowshoeing at Pinery Provincial Park (since our plans for last weekend fell through). I just booked our accommodations in Grand Bend this morning. I can’t wait!! Have a wonderful weekend as well.

Thanks! It was a little chilly today, but at least the sun was shining and it wasn’t windy. Once we got moving around it wasn’t so bad. I’ve been camping at Pinery a few times, but this was our first time visiting in the winter. The beach looked beautiful and there were some pretty neat ice formations. Hope you’re enjoying the weekend so far. It seems to go by way too quickly.

I’d say Blue Lake was appropriately named. The sandy beach and hiking trails were beautiful. It’s too bad we didn’t have more time to spend here as it would have been nice to hike the remaining trails in the park and to stay at the campground overnight. Oh well, it gives us a good excuse to come back someday. Thanks for reading. Enjoy your weekend. Linda

This was a lovely park to stop for lunch and to stretch our legs. I’m glad we had such beautiful weather to enjoy the views of the lake and hike along some of the shorter trails in the park. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

I’d say the park lived up to its name. This was a lovely spot to soak in the views of the crystal clear water while eating our lunch. The trails were also fantastic. I’m such a fan of hikes through the wetlands that also feature a boardwalk. It’s too bad we couldn’t stay for longer as it looks like it would have been a nice spot to camp.

It’s always nice to have blue skies and sun when camping. The sandy beach and brilliant blue waters were such a lovely surprise. It was hard to believe that we were still in Ontario. It was a lovely park to stop for lunch and stretch our legs.

We’ve had a bit of a slow start to January and are really feeling the pandemic fatigue. I am starting to map out our holidays and just booked a trip out west though. We went to the cabin earlier in the month to ring in the New Year and are hoping to return in February. The winter is actually my favourite time to visit the cabin as there’s no bugs! Hope all is well with you and Sladja. Have a wonderful weekend.

The scenery in Northern Ontario is beautiful. This was a lovely park to stop for a couple of hours to eat some lunch and explore. The nice thing about taking a road trip in September was that many of the parks were mostly empty, which meant we had the trails and campgrounds mostly all to ourselves. And there were no bugs. Thanks for reading. Linda

Blue Lake is probably one of the nicest lakes I’ve seen in Ontario. The water looked so crystal clear and I love the rolling greens hills in the background. The water was a bit too chilly for swimming though. It’s been fun trying to collect all the various park badges. This one was really pretty.

Thanks for your lovely comment. We were a bit hesitant about visiting in September as the days are shorter and the the nights can be quite chilly. But the parks were much quieter and there were no bugs. I’d say the pros outweigh the cons.

I’m such a fan of boardwalk trails that weave through the wetlands. Bogs are so fascinating and it’s amazing to see all the various plants that grow here. I’m glad we visited in the fall though otherwise I’m sure the mosquitoes situation would have been out of control.

It was hard to believe that we were still in Ontario with those crystal clear waters and beautiful rolling hills in the background. Even though the Spruce Fen Trail was super short and sweet, it was one of my favourites during our Northern Ontario road trip. I am obsessed with bogs and fens and I love a good trail along a boardwalk. Thanks for reading. Linda

Thanks for your kind words and for commenting. Blue Lake was a lovely place to stop for lunch and to explore some of the trails. The trails were all well signed and easy follow, which is great since I’m terrible with navigation. It’s always a bonus to score a park badge as well.

2. ourcrossings says:

What a pretty trail to explore on a sunny day – I love the views of the shimmering water you captured beautifully through the trees. Makes me miss warmer days, I can’t wait to shed heavy winter coats! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day 🙂 Aiva

Thanks for your lovely comment. It’s funny how the sun can make such a difference in terms of how the water looks. The scenery in the park was beautiful and it’s always nice to take advantage of the warm weather by going for a picnic and a hike. I sure miss those warmer days as well. Currently it’s -15C (feels like -20C). Brrr. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Linda

It’s always nice to plan a few stops while taking a road trip to break up the drive and stretch our legs. I love a good trail along the boardwalk and am so fascinated with fens. We had such wonderful weather to be out on the the trail.