The Cabin – January 2022

Length of stay: 3 days
Visited: January 2022

In some ways it feels like we were right back where we were a year ago with this pandemic. While Ontario wasn’t back in full lockdown, new restrictions were put in place just before Christmas, including reducing capacity limits for indoor gatherings. Similar to last year, we decided to ring in the New Year at the cabin to get a change of scenery and momentarily escape from the world around us.

Day 1 New Year’s Eve

We left home in the mid-afternoon and arrived at the cabin at 7p.m. The good thing about the new public health restrictions was that there wasn’t much traffic. Since the road leading into the cabin is not maintained, we usually park at the top of the road and walk in with our sleeping bags, food, water and other supplies. It’s about a 15 minute walk.

It was dark by the time we arrived, but it was mild outside. The temperature was hovering just above freezing. There were quite a few people who had a similar idea and were up at their cottage for New Year’s too.

We first got a fire going in the wood stove so we could warm-up the cabin and then headed back to the car for round two of bringing in the rest of our stuff. We then made dinner and opened up a bottle of wine that we brought back from New Hampshire a few of years ago. For dessert we roasted marshmallows in the wood stove and made s’mores.

Day 2: The New Year

We woke up to an overcast and foggy morning. Naturally I had to walk down to the lake to investigate.

After eating breakfast, we went for a walk to the old Head Farm, which is located along an old logging road. There isn’t much left from the old farm, but you can still see the foundation from where one of the buildings once stood, along with some old tools and equipment.

We continued along the old logging road. An ATV drove through here earlier and we walked along the fresh tracks. The path didn’t really lead anywhere, but we did come across some random picnic table in an open clearing. Once the path started to narrow, we decided to turn around and walk back the way we came to the cabin.

It was then time to eat lunch. We spent the remainder of the afternoon playing games and reading by the fire. We went for another walk in the afternoon to drop off some empty containers at the car so we had one less load to take back tomorrow. It was noticeably colder outside.

Day 3: The Cold

It was much chillier overnight and I had to get up a few times to keep the fire going. That way, when we got up in the morning, the cabin was still nice and toasty. It was currently -12°C (and felt like -19°C) outside.

While K made breakfast, I made a trip to the car to drop off some of our stuff. After playing a few more rounds of Rummikub, we finished packing and cleaning up around the cabin. We decided to head out early as there was a winter weather travel advisory in effect and we were expecting 5 to 10 cm of snow in the afternoon.

Even though it feels like we’re right back where we were a year ago, we’re hopeful that 2022 will be better. We decided not to set a goal or challenge for ourselves for this year. While we have a few trips planned in Ontario, we’re hoping to start exploring farther afield.

64 thoughts on “The Cabin – January 2022

That looked like a very idyllic and soothing way to spend the final day of 2021 and the first day of 2022. I remember feeling a bit dejected by the lockdown and restrictions again at the end of the year. Total sense of deja vu but thankfully we have emerged from it. I am hopeful that with vaccination and the less severe symptoms of the new variants, this Fall will be the first one that doesn’t lead to a lockdown again. Let’s enjoy summer to the fullest in the meantime! 😊

A great, safe way to ring in the new year Linda. Covid did not mean we could not have fun. It just made us change how we had fun. the cabin looks like the ideal way to go. Hope New Year 2022 will be brighter for all. Thanks for sharing. Allan

It would have been nice to celebrate the New Year with our family and friends, but visiting the cabin was an excellent backup plan. It’s always good to get a change of scenery. And yes, here’s to hoping for a better year than last year. We can only move forward. Thanks for reading. Linda

We spent a lot of time at the cabin during the pandemic, so it only seemed natural to celebrate the New Year here too. It was nice to momentarily escape from what was happening in the world around us and just focus on the simple things in life. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. Linda

I’m glad we were able to (safely) go somewhere special to celebrate the New Year. We’ve spent a lot of time at the cabin during the pandemic, so it seemed kind of fitting to return during the middle of the fifth wave.

The lake looked kind of eerie with all that fog and mist, but it was still very beautiful. It was nice to just curl up with a blanket by the fire and take it easy. Overall, I’d say it was a pretty good New Year (even though I went to bed before midnight!).

You bet. We haven’t been to the cabin as often since we moved, so it was nice to spend the long weekend there and celebrate the New Year. The winter is actually one of my favourite times to visit. I love the smell of the wood stove and there are no pesky bugs to worry about.

3. Little Miss Traveller says:

I hadn’t realised that Canada had reintroduced restrictions at the start of the year but I’m pleased you made it to your cottage, enjoyed some walks and stayed warm and cosy. If I hadnt eaten dinner in a smart restaurant a few months ago and found s’mores on the dessert menu I would have had to ask you what they were. Ours weren’t cooked on a camp fire and probably not as tasty as yours, but a rather nice sweet treat all the same.

Thankfully we didn’t go back into full blown lockdown, but additional restrictions were put in place when the Omicron variant became cause for concern. It would have been nice to celebrate the New Year with family and friends, but visiting the cabin was a pretty great alternative. I’ve never seen s’mores on a dessert menu before. That’s pretty neat. They are one of the treats we eat often whenever camping 🙂

4. Lookoom says:

I must have messed up something on WP to find myself back in January.:-) Anyway, as I feel like a regular visitor to the Cabin, I was wondering, this bench, did I miss something or is it new?

Nope, it turns out that I’m actually behind on posting about my travels. I’ve finally made it to 2022, only 5 months later. The bench has been at the cabin for decades. We usually store it inside and sometimes move it outside to the firepit just to get it out of the way.

5. Lynette d'Arty-Cross says:

Although a bit forced because of covid, it seems like you had a really great New Year. We had a similarly quiet one and really enjoyed it. You’re so fortunate to be able to go to a cabin like that. Cheers.

I’d say it worked out rather well. It was also nice that New Year’s landed on a weekend, which meant we got to stay for an extra day as Monday was considered a holiday. It’s been lovely having the cabin to escape too these past couple of years given all the restrictions and lockdowns because of the pandemic. It’s a step up from camping in a tent!

Thankfully it wasn’t too cold when we arrived at the cabin so it didn’t take us long to get it nice and toasty. The great thing about the wood stove is that the door is made of glass which means we can easily watch the fire.

For sure. It’s kind of nice not having cell reception and being able to just unplug from the world, even if it’s just for a weekend. Visiting the cabin was the perfect way to ring in the New Year and enjoy the snowy landscape.

6. leightontravels says:

Reading by the wood stove is lovely, but keeping the fire going through the night sounds less enjoyable. Of course, it’s absolutely necessary when the temperature is -12. I had to google s’mores, it sounded familiar, but I didn’t know exactly what they are. Your New Year’s Eve celebration is right up our sleeve: low-key, calm and in a remote place.

The first night wasn’t too bad as it was quite mild outside, but the second night was much colder so I had to get up a few times to check on the fire. It isn’t ideal to get up multiple times in the night to feed the fire, but the alternative of waking up in a freezing cold cabin is even worse. S’mores are delicious. We only have them when camping, which makes them even more special.

7. wetanddustyroads says:

The perfect place to escape from the world! A fire, roasted marshmallows and wine … I can easily live with that 😉! White snowy pictures – beautiful, but surely bitterly cold (-12 … way too cold for my liking)! Oh, and rummikub – we love to play that, especially on cold winter evenings in front of the fire! All in all … a great way of starting a new year!

Exactly. Even though we were feeling a bit grumpy because of the new restrictions, at least we were able to get away for the weekend to celebrate the New Year. I love visiting the cabin in the winter. There’s nothing cozier than just sitting by the wood stove. Rummikub is one of our favourites. We should really just leave it at the cabin instead of bringing it back and forth every time we visit.

8. Oh, the Places We See says:

How interesting that you could stay warm and sane there! I would have a hard time, even though I like being alone and looking at this gorgeous scenery. But you adjusted well. I look forward to your upcoming jaunts near or far!

It takes awhile for the cabin to warm up in the winter, but once the wood stove gets going, it can get nice and toasty inside. We had a wonderful long weekend at the cabin and I couldn’t have picked a better spot to ring in the New Year.

9. BrittnyLee says:

Those foggy lake photos are wild. I love when there’s fog in the winter. It makes for such wild photos . Good thing you had the fire to keep you both warm. This looks like an enjoyable getaway. Beautiful photos. That game you played looks like fun . I love learning new games

Same, the fog looked kind of eerie and spooky, which made for some interesting pictures. Visiting the cabin was a wonderful way to celebrate the New Year. Things were looking very uncertain at the start of 2022 because of the pandemic, but I’m so happy the situation has improved considerably. Rummikub is one of my favourite games to play, especially at the cabin. There’s not too many rules, so it’s fairly simple to learn and play.