Port Bruce Provincial Park

Length of stay: 1 day
Visited: August 2021

Port Bruce Provincial Park is a day-use park that is located in the hamlet of Port Bruce. It’s main attraction is its 200 metre long beach along Lake Erie. Admission into the park is free and in addition to swimming, the park also provides picnic facilities and a few restrooms.

After going for a super short hike at Trillium Woods, we drove to Port Bruce to see whether its beach lived up to its reputation. We parked along the side of the road and traded in our hiking shoes for flip flops. We got changed in the restrooms and hit the beach.

There are several access points to the beach from the main road, which helped spread out the crowds. The beach itself is sandy near the road and becomes progressively more pebbly closer to the lake. We placed our towels on a piece of driftwood and tested out the water.

The water was quite pleasant. The only drawback were the pebbles which make it a bit challenging to get in and out of the water. It’s also a super steep drop off. Within a few feet from the shore, the water was already up to our waists.

After our swim, we sat on a piece of driftwood to dry off. We then got changed and drove down to the Bruce Port Pier, which is located just north of the park. We picked up some ice cream cones from the Pier Restaurant. We then walked down to the Port Bruce Pierhead Light and quickly ate our ice cream before it melted.

And with that it was time to head out.

My progress on the Ontario Parks Challenge can be found here

34 thoughts on “Port Bruce Provincial Park

We are not fans of rock beaches either. Our worst experience was in Nice France, where I am sure our entry into and exit from the water made somebody’s YouTube channel. Port Bruce looks like a good place to relax and cool off. Stay well. Allan

There’s never a graceful way to enter or exit the water when it’s rocky. It’s even worse when it’s also wavy. Initially I tried wearing my flip flops in the water with me, but they are very annoying to swim around in, so I ended up taking them off and then had to walk back in. Thankfully the water was nice and warm, so it was worth it. Take care. Linda

2. Lynette d'Arty-Cross says:

It’s very a very pretty location and your ice cream photo is iconically summer! I don’t like pebble beaches either although wearing water shoes will help. I remember the beach at our hotel in Honolulu (my only visit several years back) was very pebbly and hidden by the water as the exposed beach portion was sandy. Quite a surprise!

The whole area felt very much like a beach town. We couldn’t resist getting some ice cream cones after going for a swim and eat them along the pier. Pebble beaches can be tricky to enter and exit. Water shoes sound like a good idea. We just assumed all the beaches along Lake Erie would be sandy so we didn’t bother packing them. We visited Maui a few years ago, but I would love to return someday to see Honolulu and the other islands.

It’s always nice to treat yourself while on holiday. Those ice cream cones were delicious and sure hit the spot. I was surprised at how steep the drop off was and was glad it wasn’t wavy. I like to think there is nothing but sand down there, but that being said, I’m always too afraid to swim under and touch the bottom!

• John says:

Oh my gosh, me too! I grew up on a lake and was and still am creeped out by what you can’t see down there. The weeds always scared me, they may grab you and hold you underwater! 💀

I refuse to swim in weedy water. I can’t handle things touching my legs when swimming either. I think one of my scariest swimming moments was when we were in Roatan on a scuba diving trip and were on the boat to get to our dive site when we spotted some dolphins and were encouraged to jump in the water with them. I could see nothing but blue all around me and there were large dolphins zooming by and making their weird clicking noises. It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life.

3. michellecj333 says:

Looks wonderful! Especially the ice cream!! I would probably have wanted to sift through the pebbles- are they the speckled ones like around Great Lakes?

There’s just something about ice cream and a hot summer’s day that go so well together. It was nice to eat our cones along the pier and just enjoy the views of the water. I honestly don’t even remember what the pebbles looked like. I was probably too focused on not falling over!

That looked like such a wonderful outing, complete with flip flop weather and ice cream on the beach! 💕

I’m not a fan of pebbly beaches as well especially on a super hot day but the water and swim make up for it.

209 days till Summer 2022!

Thank goodness the water wasn’t wavy, otherwise that just adds to the challenge of getting in and out of the water!! I much prefer a sandy beach to a pebbly beach as well. It’s more comfortable on the feet and to sit on, even if it is a pain to clean up afterwards.

Summer will be here before we know it!! I’ll be using these winter months to plan out our vacation for next year.

There’s certainly no graceful way to enter or exit the water when it’s pebbly and rocky! Thankfully it wasn’t wavy though and there wasn’t a strong current. It was a real treat to eat ice cream afterwards and a nice way to conclude our visit to this beach.

5. travelling_han says:

Oh those ice creams look delicious!! I like the name Port Bruce…for some reason I picture Bruce Willis welcoming everyone to the park and helping them on to boats across the water….probably not who it was named after haha! 🙂

Thanks for your lovely comment. This provincial park is definitely a bit different compared to some of the other parks we’ve visited this year. This is a relatively small park that doesn’t offer many activities besides swimming. There’s no hiking trails or camping. It was still nice to check it out, but I don’t think we’d ever return here to go swimming. There’s a few other parks that are nearby that have much nicer beaches. But hey, at least the water was warm and it wasn’t crowded, so I can’t complain too much.

I’m not really a fan of pebbly beaches, but the water was nice and warm and it wasn’t wavy. I initially tried to go swimming with my flip flops on, which were great to get in the water, but were very annoying to swim with. It didn’t last long. I got out to take them off and then waddled back in.

Thankfully the ice cream cones weren’t massive and we were able to eat them before they made a mess!! It seems like summer was so long ago, but it’ll be here again before we know it. Hope you’re having a good weekend. Linda

I’m generally not a fan of pebbly beaches. It’s always awkward to get in and out of the water. Thank goodness it wasn’t wavy otherwise that would have just made entry and exit even more challenging. Either way, it was still nice to go for a swim and the water felt fantastic.